Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Unnatural Juice

Since I have been utterly immersed in rhetoric in Kate Ryan’s class, I’m going to leave Gross out of this post.  It’s an extremely useful article, as persuasion seems to make the world turn, but I wanted to focus my word count toward Mishra, Lakeoff, and Johnson.  As per my usual style, I will grab quotations from the readings and stretch them wildly until I’m nearly off topic. 
Mishra fascinated me the most.  I like to arrogantly assume I’ve pondered most ideas, but Mishra’s explanation of how images affect us blew my mind.  Because pictures have been around since my consciousness, I never considered the world before their existence.  “Pictures are not natural,”(145).  Starting with just this small statement, I started wondering what constitutes a picture.  My grandparents call the television a ‘picture box’, which is exactly what it is.  Computers must follow suit, as well as phones.  Then things get a little obscured, and I’m wondering if everything is a picture.  Briefly touching on rhetorical concepts of truth, I think back to Plato’s version of truth, which is basically that only the divine hold true knowledge and humans get a restrained perspective of truth through our five senses.  With this in mind, our eyes generate a picture that may or may not be the real thing, and therefore our very existence may be unnatural.  (there’s the stretch)
 
Mishra goes on to say that, “Biologically this is most odd since for millions of years animals had been able to respond only to present situations and the immediate future” (145).  I’m finding a paradox here, as I type into my picture box in the present that will be published for the public in the immediate future.  This is still incredibly unnatural, and maybe that’s why I approach these blogs with such anxiety…this feels wrong.  This post can only be part of the present for me and me alone, and then it becomes a picture for all of you who read this.  It’s a very strange time to be alive. 
But if this is a picture, and you read it and understand it, this derails one of Mishra’s claims, “The psychology of art tells us that there are artistic conventions that have to be learnt in order to understand pictures,” because pictures are “creations of time and culture.”(148) This is a fancy way of saying it’s all made up, but in order to play our game you have to learn our made up conventions.  I don’t know much about art or psychology, but I know that when the picture box shows a person telling a joke, I get it, and I laugh.  Perhaps my understanding of understanding is shallow and uncultured, but I don’t see the need to learn artistic conventions for the sake of interpretation.
The Thinking Chair, With Our Handy-Dandy Apple Juice
Moving right along to Lakeoff and Johnson, the concept of the apple juice seat was brilliant.  It has no meaning without context, “But the sentence makes perfect sense in the context which it was uttered…and even the next morning, when there was no apple-juice, it was still clear which seat was the apple-juice seat. (12) This means that the next morning, a mental image served as the justification for something that was present, but a part of the past.  How does this fit in with Mishra’s definition of image interpretation?  All that is required to understand the apple juice seat is presence during the conversation, and has nothing to do with artistic conventions.  The concept of what it means to understand probably deserves it’s own dissertation to answer some of my questions, as well as mental imagery, because it differs with each person.  Much like rhetoric, a concrete definition is impossible to reach when a concept revolves around interpretation.  Still, I’m happy to chill in my apple juice seat, watch moving pictures in a box, and recall mental images that possibly further my unnatural existence. 
                



4 comments:

  1. Adam~

    Firstly, nice synopsis of your "usual style." I enjoy it a lot; both your manner of posting and also your self-jabs. It's relieving to know I'm not alone with blogging-anxiety! Your writing keeps it human, which is all we really are.

    Here are my thoughts. If, "artistic conventions that have to be learnt in order to understand pictures," then when one does not possess the given "rules to understand," does he misinterpret the image, or simply see it from a different perspective, equally valuable? That is, does the value of the image rest on its communicative effectiveness? Presumably so, but if that were the whole truth than all images would be made simple, so larger amount of people would understand them. The fact that some graphics require previous knowledge to understand seems akin to a discourse community. They are made for those within the genre, and anyone not understanding better go achieve the conventions to understand. Who knew graphics and pictures had such an exclusive element.

    I found it difficult to discuss this topic in class today. Mishra's piece was valuable, for sure, but to what extent does it apply to us as science writers? Perhaps it is to encourage further analyzing of the images we encounter in research papers, and what additional information they add beyond the initial look-over? What they imply?

    My cynical side says the article was just someone fulfilling their OCD urge to analyze. So now we know about graphics and we're questioning the most basic things for their intrinsic graphic-ness and the implications thereof? Hmmm.

    Blah! This cynical side is rampant!
    Thanks for writing. (:
    Anjeli

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don’t know much about art or psychology, but I know that when the picture box shows a person telling a joke, I get it, and I laugh...but I don’t see the need to learn artistic conventions for the sake of interpretation." On one hand, I agree: what do artistic conventions have anything to do with me being able to read your blog post (a picture) and understand it? Or what do artistic conventions have anything to do with me being able to laugh at funny images? I've learned both of those actions through cultural and social conventions, not through artistic conventions. On the other hand, I wonder if Mishra was talking about the very phenomenon of seeing a picture both as the object it represents and an object in itself--this idea rather than interpreting genre-specific images or being able to grasp the humor of the image. What I'm trying to say is this: why do humans automatically equate two dots and a curvy line underneath with a face? They are literally two dots and a line, and they look nothing like a human face. In fact, many pictures we see don't truly "resemble" what they're representing at all, and yet we still usually understand what it's a picture of. Therefore, the "artistic conventions" Mishra mentions could refer to the basic reasons why humans can "see" space, perspective, and dimensions within a picture--even though those features aren't actually "real" on that two-dimensional surface. Sorry if this sounds confusing; when I read that section in Mishra's article, I immediately thought of Scott McCloud's work on comic art (if you haven't read McCloud, definitely check him out! His "articles" are laid out in graphic-novel format).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam,

    I like your idea about a computer as just a newfangled “picture box.” What neither Anjeli, nor Sadie really mentioned was the way that you pulled text on the screen into the category of picture. “I’m wondering if everything is a picture.”
    Since neither of them responded to this idea, I suspect I may have missed something, but here goes: isn’t a blog post still what we traditionally think of as text, despite the fact that it appears on the screen and can have other images behind and around it? And does your analysis here turn to an analysis of writing rather than the images Mishra was attempting to isolate as a subject? I think your anxiety at the end of your third paragraph reflects an anxiety about publishing in general. There will always be a delay from writer to reader. It seems like beyond images and pictures (“beyond” could be the wrong word here), what you’re getting at is a discomfort with language. I don’t mean that your use of language isn’t comfortable – this is a well-written post. I mean that you seem to be referring to language itself as “unnatural.” If narrative language is unique to humans (probable) and humans are “unnatural” (talk to Dr. Kollin about this one), then I think I see where you’re coming from. This is a really interesting, really big issue to tackle in a few hundred words.

    Your images – as usual – are awesome. That giant, smug baby both angers and frightens me. How much it informed your post (in the spirit of Mishra), I’ll never know. My fear and anger have conquered my other interpretive faculties. I also really like the way you tied together the circular nature of these questions and your own indecision in your last sentence. Nicely said.

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adam,

    Wait, before I begin, I want to say, Liam, I’m not sure if you’ll read this post, but I just realized what your username on blogger (here) stands for. I feel accomplished :). Anyway, onto Adam’s post:

    “I don’t know much about art or psychology, but I know that when the picture box shows a person telling a joke, I get it, and I laugh. Perhaps my understanding of understanding is shallow and uncultured, but I don’t see the need to learn artistic conventions for the sake of interpretation.”

    When I read this part of your post, I was thinking about all these Chemistry Cat memes that I found online a few nights ago. I love them so much lol. I think I understand your point of view. Are you saying that you don’t think we need pictures to convey our meanings if we can write and/or speak it? Going back to my Chemistry Cat meme, I find it interesting that I enjoy the meme because it’s a cat with clever jokes that I can understand (though there needs to be a Writing Cat or Psychology Cat now :) ). I don’t think I’d find as much enjoyment or get the same interpretation from it if I didn’t read the words with it. But it’s just a picture, isn’t it? Would it have the same impact on me if it was a mini story with a cat saying those words instead? Honestly, I’m not sure because then it would be directed at a different target audience and thus would probably have a different impact on me. Plus, I may come away from the writing with different thoughts than I would with a simple meme. Perhaps this same thing could apply to research reports and features because perhaps visuals could help the reader get the one take away and the one image stuck in their mind about the writer’s piece that they probably would not have been able to effectively do without visuals. Perhaps because readers seem to value the “realism” of pictures that maybe we as writers could use that value to our advantage to persuade the reader to interpret the entire piece a certain way and to come away what we want them to come away with. At least these are my thoughts – What are yours? :)

    ReplyDelete