Wednesday, September 17, 2014

You Believe That?

First I’d like to say that the Science News Brief assignment was much less intimidating than I expected.  As a dominantly creative brained person, there is always a fear of writing something that I would hate to read, but writing it anyway because…well…it’s due pretty soon.  This assignment was a good reminder that creativity and factual elements can be blended together to make an enjoyable read.  It also helps to be an inadvertent subject of your own study, because it makes it easier to give real life metaphors that can speak to more than just the scientist.  And maybe that’s part of the beauty that Heisenberg is talking about, “the proper conformity of the parts to one another and to the whole.”  Scientists conforming to scientists and writers conforming to readers simultaneously.

I can relate to Sagan’s approach in The Demon Haunted World.  This isn’t so much science writing as it is social commentary, which I am guilty of when I don’t understand what the hell I’m supposed to write about.  It’s pretty easy to twist any prompt into a “and this is why the world sucks, because facebook” or “this is why religion sucks, because science.”  But I must admit, I’m a sucker for negativity and one hit KO’s to the hopeful and optimistic.  I’m not saying that Sagan’s essay was a bratty rant like my writing sometimes is, but I do think that he intended to be patronizing to the self indulgent.   I eat that shit up, because I self indulge and like to be put in my place as a reader.
“Every time we test our ideas against the outside world, we are doing science.  When we are self indulgent and uncritical, when we confuse hopes and facts, we slide into pseudoscience and superstition.” (241)  If only Sagan could have been present for one dinner with a particular nutjob stepmother, I might have been sent to my room to study, not repent.  It’s such a simple line, but so critical for separating how we wish the world was, and how it actually is.  This quote fires on a different level too, breaking down the intimidation factor in the word “science.”  Science isn’t strictly lab coat rigor, it’s observing and testing the universe against itself.  It’s a relief to know that if we are thinking people (as opposed to herded sheeple) then we are already in the beginning stages of scientific discovery.
To finish this post, I want to comment on an even simpler line than my previous paragraph discussed.  The commandment of science that says, “Mistrust arguments from authority.”  This commandment should be applied to every field, in every situation.  Some days I only come to class in hopes of getting to call bullshit on a professor.  I don’t get the opportunity as much as I’d like these days, probably because the further along in education you go, the more careful instructors are to never claim anything as completely true.  Still, I come into each class knowing that something ridiculous will be said and unquestioned, and it keeps me on the edge of my seat trying to catch that moment.  Similarly, I come into class knowing that there is someone smarter and more patient than myself, and they will call bullshit on me.  In this regard, everyone doubting everyone is not a negative situation.  For me, it brings me to class, makes me listen twice as hard, and reminds me to calculate each word before I open my mouth.  My doubt is my education.     

        

2 comments:

  1. Adam~

    Always enjoyable to read, truly. Your writing is a fantastic blend of "that's ballsy to write" and "hmm...that's a good point."

    I completely agree with the value in questioning, and I think it is equally important to apply that to scientific authorities. Too easily do we blindly accept a statement as fact because the report says "research shows..." Oh great, that must mean its infallible! Not so much. Of increasing interest to me is the money trail-- who funded what study. Conflicts of interest can be just as fascinating as the research itself. To detract from me sounding like a conspiracy theorist, let's talk about sociopaths!

    You wrote "It also helps to be an inadvertent subject of your own study," which causes me to wonder why you identify. Namely, because Aaron called me a sociopath once [Damn. Miss him], and I wonder if writers inherently have touches of that. That is, an extraordinary tool to writing well is elevating the concern of what our readers will think, and allowing our imagination and creativity to be let loose. To shake off the chains of "reader response," for a moment in time, so we are free to write without the internal critic.

    However, a science writer necessarily writes for the public. How do we balance this "I'm not concerned with your response" attitude that can create inventive and excellent writing, while also maintaining a "grandma in roller curls should want to read this" attitude?

    Questions, questions....(:

    Thanks for writing,
    Anjeli D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam,

    Your narration sucked me right in -- Thank you for that.

    I really liked your last point about trusting and mistrusting professors. To be perfectly honest, I've mostly trusted and held onto every single thing that my instructors have said in class. I see your point about how the further in education we go, our professors seem to facilitate the discussions more and it is up to us to bring the ideas in class. I guess I think back to my psychology courses and I seem to have been taught to see and think a certain way that doesn’t allow leeway for me to play with and question the ideas. I don't really see the same process in my writing/lit classes though (it’s more facilitation style as noted earlier)... I wonder what makes me want to believe the authority figures and accept what they say as “truth”.. I wonder what would make us accept the “facts” within the science writing pieces that we read and write….I wonder if there is something about giving authority figures (e.g researchers) intellectual power in our culture that makes us want to hold on to everything they say…

    ReplyDelete